Across the country, the fossil fuel industry is trying to build dangerous and unnecessary pipelines. Massachusetts is no exception- there are TWO pipelines proposed for the state. These provide a good case study of industry methods and how to oppose them, even if you do not live in the Massachusetts. The proponents of the new pipelines claim to be working to provide sufficient gas for the local economy to grow. But, like Dorothy in Oz, if you peek behind the curtain it becomes clear the industry wants to export the gas away from Massachusetts! That is just one worry- here are six more reasons to oppose these pipelines.
The reading list:
- Info on the Kinder Morgan pipeline in northern parts of MA
- Info on the Spectra Energy pipeline in the southern part of MA
- Liquified natural gas industry says new pipelines hurt consumers
- Stop the Medway Peaker Plant!
- Plus a pipeline to Worcester!
- 20,000 gas leaks in Massachusetts
- Gas leaks at processors much larger than expected
- Globe Op-Ed: New pipelines mighgt not reduce costs
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist that the United States put a price on carbon.
Thanks for listening.