Hydrogen (H2) gas may be an important tool to decarbonize, but it is crucial that the process of making the H2 is itself clean. Green hydrogen is made with renewable energy. The fossil industry is pushing ‘blue hydrogen’ made from methane, but investigation reveals a bait and switch. We talk to an expert about what is going on.
The reading list:
- EarthJustice report: Reclaiming hydrogen as a renewable energy
- Howarth and Jacobson: How green is blue hydrogen?
- Time Magazine questions wisdom of getting hydrogen from methane
- An example of the gas industry's hydrogen scam, at Peabody Peaker!
- NYT's Tabuchi on hydrogen from methane
- S&P podcast on blue hydrogen
- Guardian on false claims by fossil industry, exec resigns
- DeSmogBlog on blue hydrogen
- Eye opening piece on the dangers of CCS pipelines
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for a building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist the United States transform it’s energy sector, over the next decade, under a just and equitable plan, that uses regulations, investments and a price on carbon to safeguard our collective future.
Thanks for listening.