Exxon needs JP Morgan Chase more than Morgan needs Exxon. If the money pipeline from the banks to the fossil fuel majors ever shut down, new oil exploration would stop almost overnight. That’s why Blackrock’s letter and McKibben’s arrest are so important. We review.
The reading list:
- What is a "Stock?"
- What is a "Stranded Asset?"
- McKibben on Divestment in December 2018
- McKibben's classic predicate for “Do the Math!"
- 350's "Keep it in the ground" campaign
- McKibben's "soon-to-be-classic" predicate for the anti-finance campaign
- The Climate Minute on fossil fuel finance from September 2019
- Blackrock quivers
- Jane Fonda and McKibben on Fire Drill Fridays
- The "#StopTheMoneyPipeline" campaign
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for a building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist the United States transform it’s energy sector, over the next decade, under a just and equitable plan, that uses regulations, investments and a price on carbon to safeguard our collective future.
Thanks for listening.