Russia is known for its chess grandmasters, but in Helsinki on July 16th, Trump and Putin, possibly motivated by oil interests, may have handed a checkmate to the rest of the world. This week, follow us through a chain of news analysis that illustrates America’s obsession with fossil fuels and why it promises to lead only to stranded and ---literally---sunken assets.
- Globe deceptively headlines “Massachusetts residents pay the highest average retail price for power in the continental US”
- Trump and Putin are clearly in cahoots---over propping up fossil fuels
- Turning Trump’s trade war into a tool to fight climate change https://insideclimatenews.org/news/16072018/trade-war-trump-tariffs-border-tax-carbon-footprint-fossil-fuels-climate-change-analysis
- We need to accept that oil is a dying industry https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/z438j8/we-need-to-accept-that-oil-is-a-dying-industry
- Clean energy is catching up to natural gas https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/7/13/17551878/natural-gas-markets-renewable-energy
- Rising sea levels will soon destroy underground US internet cables, scientists warn
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist that the United States put a price on carbon.