Rachel Carson’s 110th birthday will be this May. Her book “Silent Spring” was landmark of environmental awareness. This spring will be a great moment to reflect on Carson’s life and impact. We check in with Ellie Goldberg, for whom Carson is a hero. In 1989 Ellie Goldberg founded www.healthy-kids.info, a consulting service promoting health security and educational equity for students with asthma and other chronic health conditions. Her goal was to help educators, health professionals, community officials, organizations, policy makers and parents work together to improve policies and practices so that schools are safe for children's healthy development. Listen in!
The reading list:
- Rachel Carson website
- Wikipedia on Rachel Carson
- Wikipedia on Silent Spring
- Rachel Carson on the American Experience
- What Would Rachel Say? ( the URL is http://healthy-kidsinfo.blogspot.com/ )
- Promoting the Life and Legacy of Rachel Carson (May 27, 1907 - April 14, 1964) Fostering a culture of sentinel lions who share Rachel's ethics and values. Working for sustained political and cultural change to prioritize public health.
- Books by Rachel Carson
- FILMS about Rachel Carson
- The Power of One Voice (A 50-Year Perspective on the Life of Rachel Carson is a groundbreaking documentary examining the life of Rachel Carson and the profound implications of her environmental work. )
- Celebrating Rachel Carson's Centennial (2007)
- Proclamation of Rachel Carson Day May 27, 2007, Mayor's Office, City of Newton, Massachusetts
- Remarks by Ellie Goldberg, May 2007: The Legacy of Rachel Carson (May 27, 1907 – April 14, 1964) VIDEO
- Creating a Culture of Sentinel Lions
- Under the Sea Wind, 1941
- The Sea Around Us, 1951
- The Edge of the Sea,1955
- Silent Spring, published September 27, 1962
- Silent Spring initially appeared serialized in three parts in the June 16, June 23, and June 30, 1962 issues of The New Yorker magazine
- The Sense of Wonder, 1965, HarperCollins, 1998:
- Rachel Carson, PBS American Experience, 2017
- Rachel Carson's Silent spring / a Peace River Films production for American Experience; produced and written by Neil Goodwin ; WGBH Educational Foundation, WNET/Thirteen and Peace River Films.
- A Sense of Wonder (A sense of wonder : Rachel Carson's love of the natural world and her fight to defend it / produced by Sense of Wonder Productions LLC )
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist that the United States put a price on carbon.
Thanks for listening.