The Trump Administration is undermining the credibility of US science by attempting to suppress data and modifying the next “National Climate Assessment” so that the science doesn't seem as dire. It is that equally heartening (the NCA provides legal basis to attack Trump's dismantling of climate protections) and maddening (Trump is therefore trying to adjust the next NCA so it loses its teeth and can't be used against bad policy.) In particular, the efforts will
- Force the USGS to model climate effect only thru 2040, hiding the truly bad effects that come later
- Eliminate the ‘worst case’ scenario in future reports
- Resurrect the idea of a White House Panel to review (and distort) the science
All this is in keeping with the latest press release that renames natural gas as ‘freedom gas’ and ‘molecules of freedom.’ After the chuckles die down, we consider the role of branding. Why not call solar panels “Patriot Panels?”
Finally, we discuss the upcoming all generation climate strike slated for September 20. This is your opportunity to take action, wherever you are! Listen in.
The reading List
- NYT on the DJT's effort to distort science
- NPR's On Point interviewed Coral Davenport
- NYT's The Daily interviews Davenport
- Mother Jones on Freedom Gas
- NYT on Freedom Gas
- NYT on how to discuss climate- change the subject!
- Thunberg calls for Sep 20 Strike
- McKibben echoes the call for a strike
- Track strike opportunities here
- Sign up for MCAN's Net Zero Building Webinar!
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for a building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist the United States transform it’s energy sector, over the next decade, under a just and equitable plan, that uses regulations, investments and a price on carbon to safeguard our collective future.
Thanks for listening.