Good news this week: President Obama acted to protect a vast stretch of underwater area from fossil fuel exploitation. This suggests he know what is coming, and is working to protect the planet from the Trump-oil agenda. On top of that, a court case that will allow a full legal presentation of climate science will go forward in the State of Washington.
In case you are a little shaky on your constitutional trivia answers, the Emolument Clause is in Article 1, Section 9 of the US Constitution. Donald Trump must swear to “preserve, protect and defend” this along with all the other clauses in the document. Here it is:
No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States: and no person holding any office of profit or trust under them, shall, without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state.
The reading list:
- First rule for survival: Take the autocrat at this word!
- Obama protects offshore canyons from drilling exploitation
- Rolling Stone says ocean protection is "Trump-proof"
- New rules on clean water and coal extraction
- Obama kills the detestable "Muslim Registry"
- How the emolument's clause works for our coming President
- Here is a really informative and short video on the Conflicts of Interest facing the new guy
- The Merriam-Webster definition of Emolument
- Washington "Public Trust" case can move forward!
- The Public Trust doctrine
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist that the United States put a price on carbon.
Thanks for listening.