As the global demand for new lithium surges, a pristine spot in Nevada is slated for an open pit lithium mine. An ongoing encampment at Thacker Pass offers resistance. Listen in to activist and author Max Wilbert, who raises difficult questions such as: When we speak of sustainability, are we sustaining life, or just a life-style?
The reading list:
- The Climate Minute's Lithium Series, Episode 1- The Lithium Lens
- The Climate Minute's Lithium Series, Episode 2- Lithium at the Critical Juncture
- The Climate Minute's Lithium Series, Episode 3-Troubling facts about mining.
- Contact Secretary Haaland at DoI
- Here is info on the Thacker Pass encampment
- Wilbert's Bright Green Lies
- KPCW interviews WIlbert
- GRIST on Thacker Pass
- KTVN on Thacker Pass
- Contact "Protect Thacker Pass"
- High Country News on cost to religious sites
- Nevada current on legal issues
- Biden on Li supply chain
- Lithium and China
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for a building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist the United States transform it’s energy sector, over the next decade, under a just and equitable plan, that uses regulations, investments and a price on carbon to safeguard our collective future.
Thanks for listening.