The UN reports that climate will throw millions into poverty even as the rich (look in a mirror) pay to survive, using the phrase “Climate Apartheid.” Here in the US, we see environmental injustice exposed in the dramatic Philadelphia refinery explosion and the poorly covered climate insurrection in Oregon. Listen in.
The reading list:
- The Guardian on the UN "Climate Apartheid" report
- The UN press release on the Climate Apartheid report
- Grist on EJ in Philadelphia and the recent explosion
- DailyKos on the dangerous insurrection in Oregon
- Climate-Xchange policy roundup weekly
- Podcast on Oregon
- BTW, the Weymouth Compressor air quality permit was approved.
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for a building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist the United States transform it’s energy sector, over the next decade, under a just and equitable plan, that uses regulations, investments and a price on carbon to safeguard our collective future.
Thanks for listening.