The unfolding events at Standing Rock are headed for some kind of resolution on December 5th. Between the violence done to Native Americans, and the commitment to ever more carbon pollution, the situation is a tragedy. The police are militarized, the media is asleep, and Obama seems uninterested. We discuss.
The reading list:
- UnicornRiot on the water cannon confrontation
- Injuries to Sophia Wilansky
- Water cannons to douse fires? Really?
- NativeNewsOnline on the December 5 deadline
- The NYT on the December deadline
- Poynter on shallow media coverage
- The Globe's muddled coverage
- Neil Young calls on Obama
- Can Obama just deny an easement?
- Contact information for the White House. Call Obama!
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist that the United States put a price on carbon.
Thanks for listening.