A new methane-gas-powered electricity generating plant in Peabody is neither needed nor consistent with Massachusetts’ legal requirement to reduce carbon pollution and provide environmental justice. We have an opportunity for Municipal Light Plants to lead the way to a clean grid, using renewable ‘peaker plant’ techniques. Listen in as we discuss the background of the #PeabodyPeaker and how you can help stop the construction of this mistake.
The reading list:
- Check out the March 2021 MCAN newsletter for info about the Peabody Peaker Plant
- Info about Mass Municipal Wholesale Electric Corporation (MMWEC)
- A listing of MA Municipal Light Plant (MLP) towns
- Wikipedia on the Wellesley MLP
- The Peabody MLP
- WBUR on the Next Generation Climate Bill, recently signed into law
- CT's solar peaker plant
- Donate to MCAN's Peaker Plant effort!
- The North Andover Eagle Tribune on the MCAN's opposition to the Peaker Plant
- The DPU site. The Peak Plant is docket 21-29. Look for 4/26 hearing zoom link
- For more information or to donate, click here!
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for a building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist the United States transform it’s energy sector, over the next decade, under a just and equitable plan, that uses regulations, investments and a price on carbon to safeguard our collective future.
Thanks for listening.