This has been a busy week for under-the-radar news. Exxon is feeling the legal heat from Climate Hawks and is trying to strike back. We discuss the plans. In Ft McMurray Canada, the heat is on due to wildfires traceable to climate change. In Paris last December, the agreement essentially targeted a 1.5C temperature rise limit which has big implications that only now are becoming apparent. Finally, the Massachusetts Omnibus Energy bill is being written now- it is a good time to call your representative. You can see a backgrounder presentation here. Here is what to ask for:
- Two thousand megawatts of offshore wind
- Increase Renewable Portfolio Standard to 2% year
- Environmental standards for massive electricity transmission project and
- PLEASE ask them to vote against the bill altogether if it includes a pipeline tax!
- Don’t know your Representative or Senator?
The reading list:
Politico report on Exxon's worries
The Nation: The First Amendment is no shield for fraud
- The AGU has second thoughts
- Ft McMurray fires and climate change
- Romm: Everything you know is wrong
- DR Tucker discusses CNN's climate coverage
- Petition to improve CNN's coverage
Please support MCAN’s work. You can easily donate on-line !
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist that the United States put a price on carbon.
Thanks for listening.