The State of Massachusetts released a strategy to achieve net zero by 2050 along with near term actions for 2030. Listen in to hear what it all means. Oh, BTW, call Governor Baker now to insist he sign the climate legislation that supports the roadmap! (617) 725-4005
The reading list:
- Commonwealth Magazine on the roadmaps
- The official 2030 roadmap
- The official 2050 'decarbonization' roadmap
- The Climate Minute on the climate elements of the COVID bill
- The Climate Minute on the legislation awaiting the Governor's signature
- The Climate Minute on planning for national coal shutdowns
- Dave Roberts on Electrifying Everything
- What Churchill said about planning
- What Eisenhower said about planning
- T. E. Lawrence wrote "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"
- Wikipedia on Laissez-faire
How to Contact Governor Baker
Email Governor Baker using this portal: https://www.mass.gov/forms/email-the-governors-office
You can also use this email: [email protected]
(this email has not bounced back according to advocates)
Call Governor Baker’s Office using the following telephone number: (617) 725-4005
Tag Governor Baker on Twitter using his twitter handle: @MassGovernor
Tag Kathleeen Theoharides, the Energy and Environmental Affairs Secretary, on Twitter using her twitter handle: @ClimateKatie and @EEASecretary
Hello, this is ____ (name) calling from (your town). I’m calling today to ask Governor Baker to take leadership on climate action by signing Bill S.2995, An Act creating a next-generation roadmap for Massachusetts climate policy.
I have been working with Rep (your Rep) and Sen (your Senator) on ensuring that the strongest possible climate bill comes out of the conference committee. (optional) Including ____ in the climate bill is crucial to my community’s climate goals.
This legislation makes important advances to our current climate action efforts that are critical to ensuring that our communities are protected from the worst effects of climate change. Governor Baker has a huge opportunity to be a leader on this issue and (your town) is counting on him.
Will Governor Baker stand with his constituents and sign this bill?
[Conclude Conversation] I am happy to follow up with more information over email. Is there anything else you need from me?
As a resident of (your town) I appreciate Governor Baker's leadership on this important issue.
Dear Governor Baker,
I’m [name], your constituent from [your town]. I’m writing today to ask you to take leadership on climate action by signing Bill S.2995, An Act creating a next-generation roadmap for Massachusetts climate policy.
As an active member of the Massachusetts Climate Action Network, it’s important to me that you sign S.2995. This legislation makes important advances to our current climate action efforts that are critical to ensuring that our communities are protected from the worst effects of climate change. In particular, it:
- Writes environmental justice into Massachusetts law and provides new tools and protections for affected neighborhoods.
- Creates a first-time greenhouse gas emissions standard for municipal lighting plants and imposes a five-year moratorium on biomass.
- Allows for a local option "net-zero stretch energy code" and adds 4 energy efficiency seats to the BBRS.
Governor Baker, you have a huge opportunity to be a leader on this issue and (your town) is counting on you. Thank you, in advance for your support and leadership.
Sample Social Media
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for a building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist the United States transform it’s energy sector, over the next decade, under a just and equitable plan, that uses regulations, investments and a price on carbon to safeguard our collective future.
Thanks for listening.