The current craze for sea shanties brings us the myth that ‘oil killed whaling.’ The truth is more complex and illuminates big oil’s plans to “get into plastics.”
The reading list:
- USA Today on the Wellerman Shanty
- The NYT on the Wellerman Shanty
- The New Republic on the "Whale Oil Myth"
- New Yorker's McKibben passes the mic to "Beyond Plastics"
- Yale on how plastics impact climate change
- McGuinn's version of Drunken Sailor
- Eight MIles High
- McGuinn's version of "Blow the Man Down"
- Harvard's Rebecca Henderson on new forms of Capitalism
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for a building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist the United States transform it’s energy sector, over the next decade, under a just and equitable plan, that uses regulations, investments and a price on carbon to safeguard our collective future.
Thanks for listening.