We must electrify our homes in order to address climate change. For example, we should move away from using natural gas to heat our homes. There are barriers to this move, often from a lack of knowledge or financial support. However, many local communities want to ban the use of gas in new construction. It is not a surprise that companies like Eversource are actively lobbying for state laws to prevent this! Listen in to find our more!
The reading list:
- The Climate Minute podcast on home electrification (May 19)
- Environment America Home page
- Electric Buildings-- our latest report
- WBUR on the Net Zero roadmap
- E360 on "electrify everything!"
- This E&E article about the leaked documents that show how gas utilities are conspiring on anti-electrification efforts
- Links to all the currently active gas ban preemption legislation. These are pending as of May 7th -- although some of these will likely pass by the time the episode airs.
- E360 on utility efforts to fight electrification
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for a building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist the United States transform it’s energy sector, over the next decade, under a just and equitable plan, that uses regulations, investments and a price on carbon to safeguard our collective future.
Thanks for listening.