A peaker power plant makes electricity only when demand is high. Listen in for a simple discussion of how utilities balance supply and demand, and why climate hawks should care.
The reading list:
- How the 'utilities' (ISO) tracks the peak demand and supply
- Sign up to "Shave the peak!"
- Wikipedia on Peaking power plants
- PSE Health Energy on tracking and replacing peaker plants in MA and across the USA
- How does a gas turbine work?
- E360 on grid scale batteries
- Green Tech Media explains long term storage
- A case in point: MCAN on the Peabody Peaker
Because we recognize the necessity of personal accountability for our actions, because we accept responsibility for a building a durable future and because we believe it is our patriotic duty as citizens to speak out, we must insist the United States transform it’s energy sector, over the next decade, under a just and equitable plan, that uses regulations, investments and a price on carbon to safeguard our collective future.
Thanks for listening.